Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Well, today is my 20th wedding anniversary. Alan and I got married on a very cold and snowy evening in 1987, only 2 weeks after my college graduation. We were fools, I know, but here we are, 20 years later. Enough said. My gift to him (we never exchange gifts) is an Ohio State Buckeye quilted wallhanging. I didn't get to finish it today, but I'll post it once I'm done. It's going to look so cool, and I know he'll like it. I haven't sewn for him in a long time.

We celebrated by going out to lunch. We NEVER go out to eat but about once a year. The last time he and I went out to eat together was August 2005. So it's a big deal. He wanted to go to a "real" Italian restaurant that makes real meatballs. You have to understand that he's been spoiled by my mother's meatballs, and NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE can make them like her. So he refuses to go to the Olive Garden, which I love 'cause I can order something my kids will never eat at home like portabella mushroom ravioli with pesto sauce, but he said no, their meatballs are fake. So we go to this place called Bravo! Italiano. We were surprised to see that there was no offering of plain old spaghetti and meatballs on the menu. Alan asked the server who said it's not on the menu, but it can be ordered. I know Alan was so psyched for good meatballs, then here comes lunch. He gets ready, bites into a meatball and it is fresh from a frozen bag of meatballs! UGH! Needless to say, he was quite bummed out. Now I guess I'll need to find time to make some meatballs before I leave for PA on Saturday. You see, it's all in the basil, and my basil plant is long dead. I guess I'll have to check out Kroger or Jungle Jim's for some fresh basil.

My mom is having knee replacement surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30. Please say a prayer or two for her. I know she's a nervous wreck. She's had surgeries before, but she knows she'll be laid up for a bit, and I am sure it's going to be a painful recovery. But I am so glad she's finally doing it. She's been hobbling along for a long time now. I am bummed that I can't be there for her surgery, but I will be going to Carnegie (PA) on Saturday for a week or so. I love our sick leave plan at school. I'll be able to stay in PA to help Dad take care of Mom and Gram for a while. I just hope it'll be long enough.

Well, school starts for me tomorrow. I love 3 day weeks! I am also excited because I am starting a Beth Moore Bible study tomorrow with my good friend Jodi at her church. I'll miss next week's session, but I'll have time to catch up while I am at my parents' house.

No comments: